Monday, March 22, 2010

The next generation

“We will not hide them from our children; we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the Lord, His power, and the wonders He has done.” Psalm 78:4
Many times in the Bible it is emphasised that we are to teach our children the things of God. Not just things about God, or Bible stories alone, but to fully introduce them to Him, making spiritual things a normal part of family life so that they will grow up in the faith.
I count myself incredibly blessed to have grown up in a Christian family. While I may have come to faith if this had not been the case, I am sure the road would have been a lot longer and a lot more painful than the one I took. I am finding more and more that the fundamental Christian doctrines such as faith, grace, the Trinity, the deity of Christ, and so forth, are such an integral part of me that I cannot even begin to question them. On the one hand this can make them difficult to explain; on the other I know them with a surety.
The world will condemn us for ‘brainwashing’ our kids, but the Bible commands us to “Talk about [God’s ways] when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up” (Deut. 6:7). If we really believe that knowing God and being known by God is the most important thing in life, why would we deny that from our children?

No comments:

Post a Comment