Monday, March 8, 2010

My favourite verses: Philippians 3:13

“But this one thing I do: Forgetting the past and looking forward to the present, I press on to win the prize for which Christ Jesus has called me heavenwards.”

While I don’t necessarily recommend it, this is a verse I found by opening the Bible to a random page, after a particularly unpleasant encounter with our next-door neighbour. It was exactly what I needed at that time, and ever since it has served as a reminder when I need to change my perspective.
Dwelling on things that happened in the past is unproductive. We cannot go back and change the bad things, nor can we go back and enjoy the good things a second time. All we have to work with is the present, and it is the things we do now in setting a course, that determin where we will end up in the future. What we have done in the past needn’t hold us back. It has been said that life is a marathon, not a sprint. In a marathon, and in life, it’s not necessarily how you start that is important – it’s how you finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment