Sunday, March 7, 2010

My favourite verses: 1 Timothy 4:12

“Do not let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith, and in purity.”

There are several aspects to this verse that have spoken to me over the years: the part about being young, being an example, and being pure.
Having grown up in a Christian home and having always known the Lord has defined me as a person, and I have come across some degree of physical age discrimination in churches (e.g. some would not allow anybody under 25 to serve in any capacity); whereas what they should have been focussing on was spiritual maturity. Also as an eldest child I was often reminded to set a good example for my younger brothers. Thus it has been a natural progression to set a good example for other believers, and I feel more of a pull towards discipleship rather than evangelism as my calling within the body of Christ.
There are five aspects we can set an example in: (a) speech – not only what we say but also how we say it, (b) life – how we live and our priorities in life, (c) love – because Jesus said in John 13:35 this is how we would be known, (d) faith – always pressing on wih the Lord, and (e) purity – seeking to flee from sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment