Thursday, November 1, 2012

'Lord, but...'

“Still another said, ‘I will follow You, Lord; but first let me go back and say goodbye to my family.’” Luke 9:61
There are many people today who have the same attitude towards following Jesus as this man did. They acknowledge that Jesus is worth following, but they feel they have more important things to do first. They say, ‘I want to live my life first, then when I’m older I’ll settle down and become a Christian.’ But we don’t know if we will still be here tomorrow. It doesn’t make a lot of sense to me to put off something as important as securing your eternal future. “For He says, ‘In the time of My favour I heard you, and in the day of salvation I helped you.’ I tell you, now is the time of God’s favour, now is the day of salvation” (2 Cor. 6:2).
To say, ‘Yes, Lord, but...’ is a contradiction. If He is Lord, then He is Lord. There’s no ‘but’ about it. Even as Christians, we can be guilty of saying or thinking this. We feel God is directing us to do something, and we try to persuade Him out of it. No wonder many of us feel as if we are struggling – we are limiting God from working in our lives. Is He truly the Lord of your life? Or are you saying, ‘Lord, but...’?

No comments:

Post a Comment