Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The good shepherd

“I am the good shepherd; I know My sheep and My sheep know Me – just as the Father knows Me and I know the Father – and I lay down My life for the sheep.” John 10:14-15
Yesterday we saw how Jesus likened Himself to the gate for the sheep, which was a role that the shepherd would take at night as the sheep were herded into a pen. This speaks of protection, and also of leadership.
Here, Jesus calls Himself the good shepherd. It is a throwback not only to the well-known Ps. 23, but also to Ezek. 34. There, we read: “For this is what the Sovereign Lord says: I Myself will search for My sheep and look after them. As a shepherd looks after his scattered flock when he is with them, so will I look after My sheep. I will rescue them from all the places where they were scattered on a day of clouds and darkness” (Ezek. 34:11-12).
Being a good shepherd, Jesus tells us, means having intimate knowledge of each sheep. The sheep trust the shepherd, because they know he cares for them. Jesus says that He knows us – and we know Him – just as intimately as He and the Father know each other. His knowledge of us is complete; our knowledge of Him is not yet complete, but will be one day (1 Cor. 13:12).
Jesus also tells us that He lays down His life for the sheep. No explanation of what this means is needed. He paid the ultimate sacrifice on our behalf.

No comments:

Post a Comment