Thursday, March 3, 2011

When a friend betrays you

“If an enemy were insulting me, I could endure it; if a foe were raising himself against me, I could hide from him. But it is you, a man like myself, my companion, my close friend, with whom I once enjoyed sweet fellowship as we walked with the throng at the house of God.” Psalm 55:12-14
Have you ever had it happen where someone whom you once regarded as a close friend, turned against you? When this happens, it’s worse than ‘mere’ persecution. You’ve trusted this person, you’ve relied on them, you’ve shared time and secrets with them. Then they turn on you, and use what you’ve told them as ammunition against you. The hurt that they can cause is deeper than if it is an enemy attacking you, because in that case you are prepared for it.
Jesus knew this all too well. He was betrayed by one of His own disciples, the inner circle of the Twelve. For three and a half years He had taught them, walked with them, eaten with them, lived together with them. Yet there was still one who did not believe, and turned aside for his own personal gain. Yes, Jesus chose Judas, knowing he would betray Him. But He also befriended him and opened Himself up to him.
So if you’re facing this kind of situation today, take heart: Jesus knows what it is like. And you can always trust Him – He will never forsake you.

3 comments:

  1. I am reading this in tears...because it was just what I needed. Jesus understands my hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may be alone, but I know now that I am not. It is he that says: Romans 12:17-19

    Never pay back evil for evil to anyone. Respect what is right in the sight of all men. If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. Never take your own revenge, beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written, "Vengeance is Mine, I will repay," says the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found this on a search because of having been betrayed and gutted by a personal friend. She has apologized, but not with any kind of sincerity, and continues to treat me as if I am the problem, glossing over the issues and the concerns of other people. My husband said that it sounds like she is incapable of empathy, or truly caring how she affects other people. Why is this hard? Because I thought the relationship was more than it really was, and I entrusted to her confidence some very deep things in my heart, which she used against me. This from a sister in Christ.

    ReplyDelete