Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Hold your tongue

“When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise.” Proverbs 10:19
I’ll freely admit that I talk too much. And, I don’t remember most of the things that I say. I remember a school assignment we had once: to make a record of the conversations we had that day – who with, when, what about, for how long. It’s harder than it sounds – despite carrying a notebook with me everywhere, I had to make three attempts at keeping a record of every conversation in this way.
There is another proverb that says, “Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue” (Prov. 17:28). When I think about it, most of what I say is completely unnecessary. And sometimes it comes back to bite me – spilling secrets and talking about other people are often inevitable if you don’t keep a tight reign on your tongue, and sooner or later you’ll say it to completely the wrong person.
James had much to say about this: “All kinds of animals, birds, reptiles and creatures of the sea are being tamed and have been tamed by man, but no man can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison” (Jas. 3:7-8), and “We all stumble in many ways. If anyone is never at fault in what he says, he is a perfect man, able to keep his whole body in check” (Jas. 3:2).
Maybe today it’s time to take stock of how much we talk. You can’t take words back once you’ve said them. Think: is it really necessary to say this? What will, or could, the consequences be?

No comments:

Post a Comment