Sunday, January 24, 2010

His will

“Father, if You are willing, take this cup from Me; yet not My will, but Yours be done.” Luke 22:42
Some people say that to pray for something and then say “if it’s Your will” is a cop-out. On the contrary – we are told that only the prayers offered in accordance with God’s will are answered (1 John 1:15). Besides, God’s will is the best thing for us. It is far better than the things we imagine would be best for us. Our will shouldn’t even be a factor in following Him. But it takes a lifetime to learn this.
Seeking God’s will in our lives is the ultimate act of submission. In this verse we see even Jesus, God Himself, submitting as a man to the Father’s will. He knew the physical pain and the spiritual agony He would face in the hours to come. But He also saw the product of His act of sacrifice: our salvation. And He rejoiced in it (Heb. 12:2).
It is truly comforting to know that God has the best plans in mind for us. “No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him” (1 Cor. 2:9). Wouldn’t you rather have that than anything else? I know if God had given me what I had thought was best, today I would be in the air force, probably flying a desk, instead of getting to travel the world and explore new horizons every day. There’s no contest really. And it’s because of what He’s done in my past, that I’m seeking His will for my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment