Monday, July 2, 2012

Everywhere I go

“If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there Your hand will guide me, Your right hand will hold me fast.” Psalm 139:9-10
My job involves more travel than most people’s. For example, in the last 5 years I have averaged 3 months per year outside my own country. So I can really identify with David’s words in this psalm, ‘If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea...’.
We can tend to compartmentalise God – that is, to think that there are places where God is, and places where He is not. Or, places where we can meet with Him – like at church – and places where we can’t – like in an airport gate lounge. I spent two-and-a-bit years living overseas in countries where they spoke the same language, but had very different cultures to mine. Yet I found God was right there, and He could and did still speak to me in the same way as when I was back home.
Since then, if anything, when I travel I’ve become even more aware of God’s presence. Even on the other side of the world, His hand guides me and holds me close to Him. This is such a comfort, especially when I go somewhere where the culture is very different, and I haven’t learnt the language. God is intimately involved in each and every believer’s life. Have you discovered this truth?

No comments:

Post a Comment