Friday, May 25, 2012

Lift up your eyes

“I lift up my eyes to the hills – where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.” Psalm 121:1-2
I know that a lot of my blog posts recently have been concerning how we need to see things from God’s perspective. It might get repetitive, but there’s a reason: it’s something that we easily forget!
The place where I grew up and where I now live, is surrounded by hills. I spent a year living in London, where there are no hills to speak of, and found it quite disorienting. Back home, you can look towards the horizon and know where you are and what direction you are facing by the hills. Similarly, the land of Israel is also quite hilly. I can just imagine someone in a town under attack, looking to the hills in expectation of the army coming to rescue them.
But our real help comes from the Lord. And our Lord is the Maker of heaven and earth. Let us never forget that – the same God who created the universe, lives in our hearts today. The same God who laid out the heavens, cares about every detail of our lives. And here’s the thing: no matter what problem we may be facing, God can fix it. He created the world from nothing, simply by speaking the word – He can heal your body from its infirmity or sickness. He spoke the sea and the land and everything that lives in it into existence – He can provide for your physical needs. He breathed the breath of life into man – He can heal you mentally, emotionally and spiritually. Where does our help come from? From the Lord, who created all things.

No comments:

Post a Comment