Sunday, May 13, 2012

David's relationship with God

“The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation. He is my stronghold, my refuge and my saviour – from violent men You save me.” 2 Samuel 22:2-3
In 2 Samuel 22 (which is largely repeated in Psalm 18) we catch a glimpse of David’s relationship with God. Notice here how many times he uses the word ‘my’ – twelve, in the NIV. David’s relationship with God was personal. He knew God as ‘my rock’, ‘my fortress’, ‘my deliverer’, ‘in whom I take refuge’, ‘my shield’, ‘the horn of my salvation’, ‘my stronghold’, ‘my refuge’, ‘my saviour’.
All these words speak of God protecting David and rescuing him. How did David come to know God in this way? Through trials and difficulties. David’s life was not easy. He spent many years on the run – from Saul, from Absalom, etc. He entered many battles, not knowing if he would make it out the other side.
But here’s the lesson for us: Trials only make our faith deeper. They are how we come to know that God is our deliverer, fortress, etc. Otherwise, our faith is simply an intellectual assent that God could rescue us. Trials force us to take that step of faith that we would not otherwise take, if we had the choice, letting go of our own securities and completely trusting God to see us through.

2 comments: