Thursday, November 3, 2011

God is 'I AM'

“Moses said to God, ‘Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, “The God of your fathers has sent me to you,” and they ask me, “What is His name?” Then what shall I tell them?’ God said to Moses, ‘I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: “I AM has sent me to you.”’” Exodus 3:13-14
‘I AM’ might seem like a bit of a strange name to our ears, but God says it is His name. In the Bible, a person’s name tells us a lot about them. God didn’t say that His name was ‘I was’, nor did He say it was ‘I will be’. You see, for God, there is no past or future. He is always in the now. Also, His name is not ‘I speak’ or ‘I give’, but ‘I AM’ – He is to us whatever we need. He is our helper when we need help, our Saviour when we need saving, our comfort when we need comforting.
There’s another place in the Bible where God speaks of Himself as being ‘I AM’ – Jesus declared this seven times in the gospel of John (John 6:35, 8:12, 10:9, 10:14, 11:25, 14:6, 15:1). He declared that He was the bread of life, the light of the world, the gate for the sheep, the good shepherd, the resurrection and the life, the way and the truth and the life, and the true vine. He also laid claim to being the same ‘I AM’ as we read in today’s verse when God spoke to Moses from the burning bush (see John 8:58).
What are you needing today? Allow God to become that to you. He loves you and wants the best for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment