Thursday, June 2, 2011

Judas and Jesus

“May his days be few; may another take his place of leadership.” Psalm 109:8
If this verse is familiar to you, it’s possibly because it was quoted by Peter in Acts 1:20 as referring to Judas. Judas had betrayed Jesus, and went out and hanged himself. When the remaining eleven disciples came together after the Ascension, Peter moved that they appoint another man in Judas’ place, and Matthias was chosen by lot.
So, given that verse 8 of Psalm 109 refers to an event connected with Jesus, what about the rest of the psalm?
“For wicked and deceitful men have opened their mouths against me; they have spoken against me with lying tongues” (Ps. 109:2). Indeed, at Jesus’ trial there were witnesses who brought false testimony against Him.
“With words of hatred they surround me; they attack me without cause” (Ps. 109:3). Both during His life and while He was hanging on the cross, the Pharisees spoke hatefully towards and about Jesus.
“In return for my friendship they accuse me, but I am a man of prayer” (Ps. 109:4). Jesus’ life was characterised by prayer. If He as the Son of God needed to pray, how much more do we!
“For I am poor and needy, and my heart is wounded within me” (Ps. 109:22). Jesus was born to a poor family (as evidenced by the sacrifice at his circumcision being a pair of doves, Luke 2:24, c.f. Lev. 12:8). He died of a ruptured heart (hence the flow of blood and water when His side was pierced).
“I am an object of scorn to my accusers; when they see me, they shake their heads” (Ps. 109:25). Again we are reminded of how the religious leaders mocked Jesus as He hung on the cross (Matt. 27:39-43).
There are many, many passages of Scripture that are like this, having a double reference. As you read God’s Word, look out for these - they show Jesus to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment