Monday, May 9, 2011

Anyone could be a Christian

“Then Agrippa said to Paul, ‘Do you think that in such a short time you can persuade me to be a Christian?’
“Paul replied, ‘Short time or long – I pray God that not only you but all who are listening to me today may become what I am, except for these chains.’” Acts 26:28-29
When Paul appeared before King Agrippa, he took the opportunity to preach the gospel to him. To this, Agrippa responded, “Do you think that in such a short time you can persuade me to be a Christian?” It’s important to note that at the time, the term ‘Christian’ was used derogatarily. It was not a term used by believers of themselves; they called themselves ‘followers of the Way’. Agrippa was apparently familiar with Judaism (Acts 26:2-3). As far as Paul was concerned, believing in Jesus was the completion of what the Law and the Prophets were pointing to. It was not a great leap for someone acquainted with Judaism to make (c.f. the Ethiopian eunuch, Acts 8:26ff).
Paul responds, ‘Short time or long – I pray God that not only you but all who are listening to me today may become what I am, except for these chains.’ Paul was praying that every person he came into contact with, might come to faith in Jesus Christ. In his mind, it was not impossible for anyone to be converted. I suppose he looked back on his own life, as one who used to persecute the church and wouldn’t give it the time of day, to becoming one of its most powerful advocates. There is a lesson in this for us. Indeed, it is not impossible for any person to become a Christian. We should pray for all the unsaved people we know - even the staunchest of athiests - that they might come to Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment