Monday, September 6, 2010

Whom I have believed

“That is why I am suffering as I am. Yet I am not ashamed, because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that He is able to guard what I have entrusted to Him for that day.” 2 Timothy 1:12
The apostle Paul faced many trials in his life as a believer; too many to be counted, although we do have a partial list in 2 Cor. 11:23-29. He who had once persecuted the church so vehemently, was now being persecuted by the world for his faith (Acts 9:15-16). Yet through it all, he held fast to the Lord, saying, ‘I am not ashamed, because I know whom I have believed.’
Do we know the One whom we have believed? We may know about Him, but do we know Him?
Are we convinced that He holds our lives securely in His hand? Are we sure of our eternal security, found only in Jesus?
After all, the Christian life is not about peace and blessings in this world only. We may not have those things. “If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are to be pitied more than all men” (1 Cor. 15:19). Rather, the Christian life is always looking forward to being united with the Lord in heaven. Until then, we wait patiently. We have entrusted our souls to Him, and He will guard them until that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment