Wednesday, July 14, 2010

He hears us

“In my distress I called to the Lord; I called out to my God. From His temple He heard my voice; my cry came to His ears.” 2 Samuel 22:7
In this song of David (which is also given in Psalm 18), he praises God for how He delivered him from all his enemies. I found this verse interesting, because if you think about it, the temple in Jerusalem was built by Solomon. David was expressly forbidden by God to build the temple. Solomon did not even start on the construction until after David had died. So what is David referring to when he says, ‘from His temple He heard my voice’?
When Moses was given the instructions on how to build the tabernacle, God told him, “See that you make [it] according to the pattern shown you on the mountain” (Ex. 25:40). Moses was given a glimpse of heaven, for the tabernacle is a model of heaven; the Holy of Holies being representative of God’s throne, where mercy is found and the angels surround Him saying ‘Holy, holy, holy’ (Rev. 4:6-8).
So what David is saying here is that God heard his cry from His very throne room. Similarly our prayers are like incense (Rev. 5:8), which are continually coming up before God as a sweet aroma, just as the altar of incense was present in the tabernacle (Ex. 30:8). When we call to God out of our distress, He does hear us. He may not always respond in our timing, but He always responds in His timing, and His timing is perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment