Thursday, August 18, 2011

Visual reminders of God's truth

“What do you see, Amos?” He asked. “A basket of ripe fruit,” I answered. Then the Lord said to me, “The time is ripe for My people Israel; I will spare them no longer.” Amos 8:2
God spoke to several of the Old Testament prophets through visual pictures – Amos with the plumbline (Amos 7:8), Jeremiah with an almond branch (Jer. 1:11), the potter’s wheel (Jer. 18:1-6), and baskets of figs (Jer. 24:3), Zechariah with a lampstand and two olive trees (Zech. 4:2-3) and a woman in a basket (Zech. 5:5-8).
He can do the same today for us. Just the other day an image popped into my mind of an appointment diary. Then I thought about what God’s appointment diary must look like! – except that God isn’t limited by time. Then this truth dropped into my heart: God has all the time in the world for us. While our day is limited as to how much we can accomplish and how many people we can spend time with, God has no such limitation. He is omnipresent; He is with each of us 24/7. He isn’t in a rush to finish being with us because He has to go to a meeting somewhere else.
I think we may well have more of these kinds of visual reminders of God’s truths than we realise. Why not start a journal, and write them down? Then in days to come you can look back on His faithfulness to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment