Saturday, June 18, 2011

Crucified with Christ

“I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.” Galatians 2:20
What does it mean to be ‘crucified with Christ?’ Crucifixion was the end of the road. As soon as you were condemned to die by crucifixion, you were a dead man walking. A person hanging on a cross was as good as dead, even while they were still alive. And even after death, such a person was cursed (Deut. 21:23 Gal. 3:13). While chances are none of us will be physically crucified, we should be saying, like Paul, ‘I have been crucified with Christ’.
Becoming a Christian involves setting our old lives aside – the lives that were dominated by selfishness, greed, etc. Now we do not live to please ourself, but to please God. The difference is vast, and the rewards are much better! How do we live to please God? The answer is simple: by faith (Heb. 11:6). We are still in this earthly body, but we can start living for the kingdom of God. Everywhere we go, every conversation we have, can be an opportunity to share the kingdom with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment