Monday, October 11, 2010

Wonderfully made

“I praise You because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Your works are wonderful, I know that full well.” Psalm 139:14
Sometimes when coming across verses like this, I’ll just stop and think about my hands. The way the bones, muscles, and tendons all connect together to enable me to perform a huge variety of functions. The fingers bend, the thumb can touch all of them to pick things up. When picking up a pen, I don’t have to think about which muscles to extend or contract or which joints to bend – I just think about picking up the pen and all of those things work together to make it happen.
But our physical bodies are only a small part of the amazing creation that God has made called ‘us’. We can understand, at least to a limited extent, how our physical bodies work in terms of the biochemistry and so forth. But the psyche, the soul, is another thing entirely. The nature of personality, decision-making, morality and so on, how they work and how they are established in the first place, are much less understood than our physical bodies. God has created our soul with just as much care and design as He has our physical bodies.
And even beneath our soul, lies our eternal spirit, which, it is safe to say, is only understood by God Himself (see Jer. 17:9, 1 John 3:20). Indeed, how fearfully and wonderfully we are made.

No comments:

Post a Comment