Sunday, April 18, 2010

Finishing well

“However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me – the task of testifying to the gospel of God’s grace.” Acts 20:24
Paul likens the Christian life to a race. I think we all know, it’s a marathon, not a sprint. It requires serious training and chances are you will fall down along the way. But the most important thing in that situation is to get back up and keep going. When you hit ‘the wall’, to push through in the power of the Spirit. The most important part is not how we start, but how we finish.
“Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified from the prize.” (1 Cor. 9:24-27)
Paul took his Christian life and calling seriously. There are eternal rewards that are available, but only if we finish well. Don’t be disqualified from the prize by allowing some sin back into your life. Run in such a way as to get the prize.

No comments:

Post a Comment