Sunday, February 28, 2010

How Jesus gives

“Peace I leave with you; My peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” John 14:27
This verse comes during Jesus’ final teaching to the disciples before He is taken from them and crucified. He tells them how the Holy Spirit will come and be their comforter – in fact, the whole discourse is that of comfort and reassurance. The Lord’s peace is surely one of the most comforting things we can experience. While turmoil may be going on around us, if we have peace in our hearts, none of the external stuff seems to matter.
Jesus gives the disciples His peace, and says it is ‘not... as the world gives’. How does the world give? Grudgingly. Expecting to be repaid. With some ulterior motive. Thinking about taking back whatever is given, especially if things don’t work out or if the gift is unappreciated.
Jesus does none of these. He gives out of His love, which is unconditional. If Jesus gave as the world gives, He would never have gone to the cross. This is one reason why the world cannot understand the ways of God – He operates on a different plane (Isa. 55:8-9).
I am so thankful that Jesus gave. I know that I am often not as appreciative as I ought to be. Yet I’m not worried that He will take His love, peace, and saving grace from me. In reality, do any of us really understand the magnitude of what He has given us? We will spend all eternity learning afresh the depths of His love for us. Our God surely is an awesome God.

No comments:

Post a Comment